Gyrn Castle

History

There has been a house at Gyrn since the late 17th Century, and in the early 18th Century it formed part of the Mostyns of Cilcain’s Estates. The present house incorporates features from both the late 17th and 18th Centuries.

In 1749, Gyrn passed to the Reverend Samuel Edwards of Pentre Hall, Montgomeryshire on his marriage to Charlotte, eldest daughter of Roger Mostyn Esq. The estate was then sold in 1750 to Thomas Hughes of Halkyn, whose son Robert (d.1806) subsequently bequeathed it to James Ewer of Holywell, who in turn sold it in 1817 to John Douglas a partner in Douglas, Smalley & Co. the Holywell cotton manufacturers.

ezybox- _MG_1936 _MG_2859

The original house at Gyrn was then transformed by John Douglas who between 1817 and 1824 built the castellated mansion that is almost as seen today. In 1853 the Douglas Family was forced to sell the Gyrn estate, and it was purchased by Edward Bates of Manydown Park, Hampshire. A Liverpool ship owner and politician, Bates accumulated enormous wealth during a career that spanned most of Queen Victoria’s reign and in 1880, he was created a baronet.

Subsequently, the property stayed within the Bates family and was finally inherited by Sir Edward’s great grandson, Sir Geoffrey Voltelin Bates, the 5th Bart in the mid 1970’s. He then spent the next 50 years of his life working tirelessly to develop the faming, shooting and fishing at Gyrn which is in place today.

gyrn_scan_resized_2

Sir Geoffrey Bates passed away on 13th February 2005 at the age of 83, and the castle is now owned by David and Charlotte Howard. Charlotte is the daughter of Sir Geoffrey’s late wife Lady Hugolyn Bates and therefore happily the estate remains in the family.

Gyrn in Winter